Re: power Error

Have you had further crashes since the one you mentioned?  Besides
the GPF light being on, does the system generally work OK?

Since you are running SMP you must have built the kernel yourself;
what kernel sources did you use?  From the debian kernel-source
package or from the official kernel source tree?  What kind of
config options that might be causing this did you select?

Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm really clueless about the following problem:
> I'm running a Sparc E250 server since december last year under potato.
> Two weeks ago the machine canceled network connection (no ping) and
> dosn't had any output on ttyS0 console.  I switched it off :-( and
> on again some times but it doesn't helped.
>
> When Sun service came the damn box worked again (doing several minutes
> e2fsck - hey are there any patches for XFS ready for production ???)
> and started working again.

The ReiserFS patch is apparently working quite well.  ~:^)

> The only unusual thing logcheck reported was:
>
> Unusual System Events
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Apr  4 08:38:10 bse kernel: power: Error, cannot register IRQ handler.
> Apr  4 08:38:10 bse kernel: request_irq: Old style IRQ registry attempt from 00000000005c7a68, irq 00000000.
>
> Looking at the date you see that it happened again.  I found out that
> rebooting depends from the position of the keyswitch:
>
> If I switch the key to "Diagnostics" it doesn't start, but no failure
> LED is on at the Control Panel.
> If I switch on to "Power-On" position some seconds after switching on the
> "General fault" LED lights steadily.  Kind of alarming but the service man
> thinks it is a Linux problem.  If I would boot Solaris it would be off.
>
> I'm really clueles what to do now.  Does anybody have any experiences which
> could give me a hint.  I have to admit that I havn't observed the state
> of the "General fault" LED in the days before the first failure, but I
> can't imagine that it would be on.  Moreover why isn't the box starting in
> the "Diagnostics"-mode?
>
> Could Linux be related to this LED / switching randomly off trouble.
>
> As I said, I'm using
>
> ~> uname -a
> Linux bse 2.2.18pre21 #1 SMP Tue Dec 19 22:53:19 CET 2000 sparc64 unknown
>
> on a pure potato machine with security and proposed-updates.
>
> Kind regards
>
>         Andreas.
>
> --
> We have joy, we have fun,