power Error

Hello,

I'm really clueless about the following problem:
I'm running a Sparc E250 server since december last year under potato.
Two weeks ago the machine canceled network connection (no ping) and
dosn't had any output on ttyS0 console.  I switched it off :-( and
on again some times but it doesn't helped.

When Sun service came the damn box worked again (doing several minutes
e2fsck - hey are there any patches for XFS ready for production ???)
and started working again.

The only unusual thing logcheck reported was:

Unusual System Events
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Apr  4 08:38:10 bse kernel: power: Error, cannot register IRQ handler.
Apr  4 08:38:10 bse kernel: request_irq: Old style IRQ registry attempt from 00000000005c7a68, irq 00000000.

Looking at the date you see that it happened again.  I found out that
rebooting depends from the position of the keyswitch:

If I switch the key to "Diagnostics" it doesn't start, but no failure
LED is on at the Control Panel.
If I switch on to "Power-On" position some seconds after switching on the
"General fault" LED lights steadily.  Kind of alarming but the service man
thinks it is a Linux problem.  If I would boot Solaris it would be off.

I'm really clueles what to do now.  Does anybody have any experiences which
could give me a hint.  I have to admit that I havn't observed the state
of the "General fault" LED in the days before the first failure, but I
can't imagine that it would be on.  Moreover why isn't the box starting in
the "Diagnostics"-mode?

Could Linux be related to this LED / switching randomly off trouble.

As I said, I'm using

~> uname -a
Linux bse 2.2.18pre21 #1 SMP Tue Dec 19 22:53:19 CET 2000 sparc64 unknown

on a pure potato machine with security and proposed-updates.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
We have joy, we have fun,