Network install on SparcStation 1+

I've got an old SS1+ which I'd like to put Debian on. Unfortunately due to a
lack of cables, I can either connect a CD drive or hard drive to the SS, but
not both simultaneously. If I boot off a Debian CD, everything's fine (apart
from not being able to find anywhere to install things). However, if I try
to install over the network via rarp and tftp from another Debian box, the
tftp boot image is pulled across but then the procedure hangs - not even
stop-a will interrupt it. If I'm using a local keyboard then I lose the
video signal entirely, if I use a serial terminal the counter stays at
1e4600 (not quite the right file size) and there's no discernable network
traffic to/from the machine. Any ideas?

Many Thanks,

James