Re: INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 01:42:39AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
:On Jan 17, "Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon@ai.mit.edu> wrote:
:
: >Any ideas why this is happening?
:You have to comment the entries for getty in /etc/inittab, you do not
:have a console and getty can't start.

This is one of 9 functioning headless machines, all with the same base
install.  Why is this the only one that's unhappy with being headless?

: >The machine is headless so I only really need ttyS0 working (and could
: >probably live without that if I had too...
:You can add a getty entry for a serial console.

This is another interesting thing, I've been administering these
machines via serial port (whole install and config), none have a getty
enabled on the serial port.  Is the PROM somehow responsable for
redirecting the console to the serial port, and could that be the
problem (the kernel and the prom have different ideas of where this
i/o should be)?

It all seems a bit odd, but I haven't had a chance to try rearranging
the getty's yet...

-Jon