compiling kernel 2.4.16

Greetings,

I am attempting to compile kernel 2.4.16 for my SPARC Machine. I am
mainly interested in ext3 support for my machine for faster crash
recovery times. When I make vmlinux, I get the error :

Wrong use of 'disable_irq' in '.text.exit' section. It can only be used
in .text, .text.init, .fixup and __ksymtab

make[1]: *** [btfix.s] Error 1

Is this error common? I get it with every version I've tried, from
2.4.13ac8 to 2.4.17.

Allow me to apologize if this post is off-topic to this list!

--Alex Cavnar