Re: RAID1 on sparc64

In article <[🔎] sc23173b.004@mail.centrixsystems.com.au> you write:
>Hello,
>
>I have installed Debian 2.2 on a Sun Enterprise 420R.  Everything seems to =
>be working alright except software RAID, which is working fine on our x86 =
>machines.  The patch itself installs cleanly as does the kernel build, it =
>is just the 'fdisk' and 'mkraid' tools that give me issues:

 A couple of known problems with RAID on sparc on 2.2 are:

 - The superblock contains a 64bit value (event counter) on a 32 bit
   boundary, and so ends up the wrong size
 - only MS-DOS partitions support auto-detect, and you really need
   autodetect for reliable RAID operation.

There is a patch for the former at
  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/raid-2.2.20/raid-2.2.20.patch

It is Ingo Molnar's patch applied to 2.2.20, and with the superblock
event counter tidied up as is done in 2.4.

 However I believe that raid-sets made like this will not be forwards
compatible with 2.4 kernels - I suggest you ask the linux-raid list
for further information.

 Jonathan.