Re: [Re: SBUS Sparc printer card.]

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 00:34, Eric wrote:
> If I recall correctly, the SPARCprinter card is similar
> to a framebuffer, not a standard parallel port.  I'd
> suggest taking a look at the really, really old archives
> of the sparclinux list as this does get mentioned time to
> time.

While "digging" inside shelves full of dust layers and full of unused
documentations, i found today the user installation guide
dedicated to this card. It mentioned that the first port on the card is
specific to the sparc printer (the frame buffer function with pins
carrying intensity, vertical and horizotal sync. etc) and the other one
is a bidirectionnal parallel port used with printer equiped with
Centronics connector.

After plugging the dusty beast onto different sparcs, it seems that the
openboot detects two "new" devices instead of one. I'm just hoping that
the conventionnal one may be used without SUNOS ! As usual : a very
specific SUN cable is needed... but some mechanical adaptations or some
"soldering" may not be a real pain. ;-)

Eric.
p.s. Any happy debianer playing with SBUS FDDI adapters (AMD AM79C830 +
sram + AT&T FFDI xcvr) here ? I'm unsure that a so old stuff can be
used with Linux... :-)))