Reason to use 2.4.x on SparcStation 2?

I'm running potato on a SparcStation 2 (sun4c), Kernel 2.2.20. The
system is running smooth (more or less since the SS2 is really slow
compared to current hardware). Only the X server makes some problems
(Xsun) - it behaves extremly sluggish and while running X sometimes
messages like "unknown keyboard ioctl" or something like that show
up in the syslog. I don't know if the Xsun or the keyboard driver
is the problem but I hope that things will get better with woody
and XFree 4.1.x (I'm using a cgsix (Turbo-GX) btw).
The SS2 will be used as X client (XDMCP via LAN to another box)
and apache will serve static data but performance isn't really
important, just two clients...
One question: Does upgrading to kernel 2.4.x make sense? I know
that at the moment there are some problems with 2.4.x on sparc32
(may be especially on sun4c?) and of course I only would consider
upgrading provided that someday there will be a stable 2.4.x for the
sun4c architecture. I don't really _need_ 2.4.x since 2.2.20 fully
supports the SS2 but would there be any reason to upgrade - maybe
some magic "improved overall performance" or whatever?  :-)

Greetings,
Andreas Behnert

--
To err is human; effective mayhem requires the root password!