Re: Kernel 2.4.16

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Hakan Kuecuekyilmaz wrote:

> hmm, try it without LVM support. Seems that it still does not work for sparc
> My custom 2.4.16-pre1 did not compile with LVM support either.
This worked so far even if I wanted to try LVM :-(.

So I have to wait again for a kernel which fits my needs.

But all my hope for a working NFS vanished again.
Sorry, I'm loosing my nerves and I have to say:  I HATE, I REALLY HATE
BROKEN NFS!!!
(Sorry, it was necessary to calm down and I just report my ever and ever
coming up problem once more.)

# cat /etc/exports
/              wr-linux02(rw,no_root_squash)
/var           wr-linux02(rw,no_root_squash,nohide)
/usr           wr-linux02(rw,no_root_squash,nohide)
# /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...wr-linux02.rki.ivbb.bund.de:/: Invalid argument
done.
Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsd mountd.
# grep NFS /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.16/.config
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
# CONFIG_ROOT_NFS is not set
CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_NFS_NS=y

I once fought hard to solve this problem on i386 plattform and now the
problem vanished there (more or less mysteriousely by moving some lines
in /etc/exports up and down), but I can not get access to the Sparc
machine via NFS since I use 2.4 kernel series.  With 2.2.18 all worked
fine with the very same /etc/exports.  I guess it depends from the
phase of the moon while compiling the kernel if you get a working NFS
or not.

Kind regards

       Andreas - out of hope to get NFS working ...