Re: Building modules for Debian sparc kernels

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 10:00:35AM +0100, Arne Nordmark wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
>
> Thanks for answering.
>

> > On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 08:28:19PM +0100, Arne Nordmark wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > When building kernel modules (specifically the OpenAFS module) to match
> > > the kernels in the Debian archive for i386 and sparc, some questions
> > > came up.
> > >
> > > For the i386 architecture, there is a separate kernel-headers package
> > > for each kernel flavour, so building using these should produce working
> > > modules. On sparc, there is only one kernel-headers package (for the
> > > sun4cmd subarch?). Is building a kernel module say for sun4u-smp with
> > > these headers guarateed to work? If not, one should probably have to get
> > > the correct version of the kernel-source pachage (but this may have been
> > > replaced in the archive) and the kernel-image source package (for
> > > patches), so that way is not so desirable.
> >
> > No, there is one kernel-headers package for sparc64 and sparc32 (both
> > sets are in the same package).
> >
> > I do not suggest using the headers to build modules. Use the whole
> > source.
>
> What would be a typical use of the kernel-headers, then?

Glibc.

> > > Another thing is that the kernel-image packages for sparc has the
> > > sub-architecture in the package name, but not in the /lib/modules path.
> > > The variables passed by make-kpkg to build a kernel module package does
> > > not seem to be enough to inform about this situation, so the buildt
> > > package will either miss the sun4xxx in the package name and kernel
> > > dependencies, or have it in the /lib/modules path, dpeneding of how
> > > make-kpkg is called, so in either case the .deb file will have to edited
> > > by hand. For i386, there is no problem, as the flavour is present both
> > > in the package name and the /lib/modules path.
> >
> > You'll have to use the same method as the  source
> > does.

Honestly I would suggest not doing pre-built modules for upload. What
you need is just a modules source package that patches the kernel source
so users can rebuild with those modules if they want.

Lots of packages do that.

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \