ultra: any kernel with 3c59x buildable at all?

i've got a bit of a problem with the ultra5 i'm supposed to
install right now:
i need support for a 3c905 pci network card which is not enabled
in the stock kernels for ultrasparcs.

building any kernel (i've tried 2.2.19 and 2.4.latest) with that
thing enabled fails with an abysmal internal compiler error in
egcs64.

i've read the port page stating that the problem is that egcs is buggy
and that it's better to stick with the stock kernels at the moment.
however, this is not an option for my right now :-(

my question is: what's necessary to build a kernel on/for an ultra
with that driver enabled? is it possible/necessary to build a newer
version of the compiler first? (if so, i've got no real problem with that;
it'll be a bit of hassle but the results count...)

(how do the people providing the kernel images and the newest install
disks build the ultra kernels?)

any hints appreciated.

regards
az

--
++ Alexander Zangerl  az@bond.edu.au  DSA 0xF860ACF1 ++
++ Bond University IT School   phone +61 7 5595 3398 ++