Re: Console no login prompt after boot

Frank Stolze wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I installed Debian 2.2r3 on a Sun Ultra 2 via a serial port console. After that
> I successfully used Debian via the serial port (except console-tools not
> installing successfully).
>
> Now I added a Sun monitor & keyboard to the machine. I can boot Debian
> successfully, with all console output going to the monitor. However, after the
> last script from rc3.d finishes, nothing happens. No login screen is presented.
> There are no unusual log messages either. Now I was able to install
> console-tools, rebooted, same effect. I can ssh into the machine and there are
> no unusual processes running, the machine seems to be in a proper state. But
> the monitor/keyboard console does not get a login prompt.
>
> Can anybody give me a hint how to fix this?

Just a hint?  OK,

# man inittab

Heh.  man login would have led you to the answer as well.

Alright, you installed from serial with no monitor/kbd, so it's not
going to be running a login on a nonexistent device, is it?  You
have to add a login for tty1,2,3,4,5,6 in /etc/inittab.  They're
probably there already but just commented out.  Run

# telinit q

after you're done editing inittab.