Re: Compiling a kernel

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 10:51:41PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:

> No, what you end up with there is a vmlinux.o file, which is not the
> kernel. What you want is the vmlinux file in the root of the build. Just
> do this:
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig (or whatever you use)
> make dep
> make vmlinux
> cp vmlinux /boot/

No such file.  Instead, I get at the end of 'make vmlinux':

  objdump -x vmlinux.o | ./btfixupprep > btfix.s
  Wrong use of 'disable_irq' in '.text.exit' section. It can be only used
    in .text, .text.init, .fixup and __ksymtab
  make[1]: *** [btfix.s] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/boot'
  make: *** [_dir_arch/sparc/boot] Error 2

> If you are using Debian, I strongly suggest using the kernel-package
> package. It simplifies building, installing and managing your kernel
> images. You would just do something like this:
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig (again, whatever you prefer)
> make-kpkg kernel-image
> cd ..
> dpkg -i kernel-image-x.x.x_sparc.deb

I'll give that a go, but it's still not going to work if I can't build
a kernel 'by hand'.

--
David Cantrell | david@cantrell.org.uk | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.