Compiling a kernel

This isn't Debian-specific, but I hope someone here can help me.

I've been running Linux on Sparc for a year or so now, and have never
once managed to compile a working kernel.  I follow the instructions
to the letter, but always end up with an unbootable file.

I believe that the problem lies in the final linking stage, as I do
end up with a .../arch/sparc/boot/vmlinux file, but it's relocatable
and not stripped.  Any pointers on how to fix it?

I really need a new 2.4.x kernel so that I can make better use of my
Sparcbook.  2.2 kernels leave me using the slooooow PROM console instead
of a framebuffer, and make the machine run VERY hot which I am told is
fixed by new idling magic.

--
David Cantrell | david@cantrell.org.uk | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced