Re: how to install new kernel

On Thu, 2001-09-13 at 07:59, hakubw00@fht-esslingen.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running 2.2.19-sun4u on an ultra10. The 2.2.19 has an nfs-mount
> bug, so I would like to upgrade my kernel.
> apt-cache search kernel gives me
>
> kernel-image-2.4.9-sun4u
>
> after installing it I have a symlink /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7
>
> But my machine wont reboot.
> How do I have to upgrade my kernel, what packages do I need?

well, this symlink seems to be pointing to wrong kernel.  or was that a
typo?  (2.4.7 should be 2.4.9 if you installed that package).

I would make sure that your silo package is also up to date.  and what
does your /etc/silo.conf look like?

what does "wont reboot" mean?  what is the error...how far does it get?

also, are you on a sun4u arhictecture machine?  if you are on a 32bit
machine, you should stick to the 2.2 kernel for now.

-tduffy