Re: Ftpd

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 05:26:32PM +0800, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
> > On Sep 06, Paulo Gra?a Rodrigues illuminated with a virtual scribe  :
>
> > I have  a sparc station 5 running Debian Linux, kernel 2.0.35.
> > My libc6 version is 2.0.105-2.
> > I need a ftpd server to install on that machine (I don't want proftpd, just
> > a simple ftpd).
> > I've looked in some ftp archives but all ftpd daemons need libc6 (>=2.1.2).
> > Can anyone send me by mail (send to pgr@drealg.min-economia.pt) or tell me
> > the URL where I can find ftpd for my libc6 version?
> >
> apt-get source --compile ftpd
>
> that will compile it against your current libc.  if you don't have a
> compiler on your system then you are probably out of luck.  That is a
> *really* old libc.  if that is a potato system, I wouldstrongly reccomend
> applying the potato updates.  It would bring your libc up to v2.1 as
> well.
>
> hmmm guys, would there be any incompatabilities from that ver of libc to
> the one in potato (2.1.3-18)?
>
> or, anyone got any slink or bo archives floating around?  *grin*

If you are running slink on any sparcs, upgrade to potato as soon as
possible. It's a pretty easy thing to do (edit /etc/apt/sources.list,
and run "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade"). I can not stress enough
how much more stable potato is than slink on sparc systems. And for god
sakes, upgrade that kernel to 2.2.x (in fact, you have to for potato).
Just install the kernel-image-2.2.19-sun4cdm from woody/sid (yes, those
kernels are compatible with slink and potato).

Ben