From: Ben Collins [mailto:bcollins@debian.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 11:50 AM
To: Marcel Hicking
Cc: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian on SPARCstation-5 ?

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 02:33:59PM +0200, Marcel Hicking wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a SPARCstation-5 170 Mhz with 256MB of memory
> and I would like to run Debian on it. This is
> going to be a dedicated nameserver-only machine.
> (bind9 with a fairly large number of zones)
>
> Are there any known issues I'd better check
> before finally deciding to kick the currently
> running NetBSD?
>
> Could anyone comment on stablenes of such a system?

Use potato, and you wont have any problems. I have a SPARC LX (sun4m,
just like the SS5), and it has gotten 380 and 140 day uptimes
consecurtively (only a power failure interrupted the two uptimes). It
serves as an http/https/ftp server for an internet site. Also runs php
web applications.

Ben

/  Ben Collins  --  ...on that fantastic voyage...  --  Debian GNU/Linux   \
`  bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bcollins@linux.com  '