Re: Netra X1 advice?

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 08:40:09PM -0400, Chad Miller wrote:

> (Aside, suggestions for other inexpensive, rackmount (2U or less?)
> machines is welcome.  Non-i386 is a plus.)

Last time I looked (few months ago), an i386 1U box could be put
together for approximately 200USD more than the equivalent
mini-tower. This was for low-end Intel hardware (Celeron, but probably
also applies for regular P3, too). I think the cost came out to around
600USD, but I could be mistaken.

Linuxtoday had an article on building one of these some time ago, and
once you've found an appropriate motherboard model, everything else is
a matter of surfing Pricewatch for low-profile DIMMs and fans, and
finding a decent case vendor. I think I looked at both Jinco and Case
Depot for cases.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-01-16-001-05-NW-LF

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu