Re: Issues on Blade100: XFree86 and audio

On Mon, Jul 30, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 02:18:40PM -0500, jason smith wrote:
> > Hi, all.
> >
> > Also, I cannot get any sound out of this machine.  I've got sparc audio
> > compiled in, with the CS4231 low-level driver, but I get this error
> > message when I play some audio:
> >
> > Warning: Couldn't init SDL audio: No available audio device
> >
> > I do not see any mention of audio in the dmesg.  And the sparc audio
> > page seems to be a bit dated: http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/sparcaudio.html
>
> Does Blade use the cs4231 chipset? If so, it should just work. Try
> cat'ing some random data to /dev/dsp (cat /bin/login works well :) and
> see if it even works.

No, the Blade does not use the cs4231 chipset. It uses a real soundcard
chip. Try the kernel OSS drivers, one of them works (don't remember the
model in the moment).
Only problem is that the interface is not compatible to the old Sun audio
system, so you have to reconfigure and recompile most multimedia
applications :-(

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Deutschherrenstr. 15-19       D-90429 Nuernberg