Re: (newbee alert) cant save changes to edited scripts.

> when installing deb, i opt to format sda.  as soon as fdisk starts, i delete
> the existing partition(s) then hit s,
> this gives me three visible (in fdisk) partitions, sda1, sda2(swap), and
> sda3(whole disk).  then i choose to fdisk sdb, and make 3 (type 83)
> partitions, /var , /home , /www   .  when partitions get initialized, only
> sda1 and sda2 get initialized, as root and swap.  i never get a chance to
> format sda3 and i try to leave things in the OS's COMPETENT hands, cause
> this ain't windows ;)

Ok, sorry. I missed the fact that you used two hard-disks for the **same**
system. I just thought that the first hd was used for another OS.

What you describe is what I have done on a couple of machines. And you are
right: a whole disk partition is necessary only on the boot disk.

Maybe your disk is broken. This has happended to me some months ago and
seems very similar to what you have experienced. The first disk broke down
and started to be mounted read-only.

What I did was to copy the important data (/etc, /root, /var/cache, etc.)
to the second disk (where I had /home) together with the full list of
installed packages, throw away the old disk and reinstall from scratch
using this package list.
If you need details, I can give you more details privately.

Bye
Sabino