Sparc audio

I have been having problems getting audio to work on my Javastation
JS-1.  To tell the truth, I have never gotten audio to work on ANY of my
sparcstations.

I am running an UltraLinux 2.2.x krnel on the JS.

When I try to use SPLAY to play an mp3file, I get a bus error.
mp3 blaster, and other players have a similar reaction.

any ideas what could be causing this?

When I try to pipe random files into /dev/audio, usually no sound is
heard, but no error is reported.  Once, upon CTRL-Cing such an activity, I
briefly heard static.

-- noah silva