Re: booting sparc

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 11:00:11PM +0800, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
> it is not necesary, but will make the installation easier.  Linux presumes
> that you boot from the drive with the lowest ID, ie sda.
I installed Linux. Just stucked with booting of this machine.

> also, it is easier to run silo, rather than manually fiddling about with
> first.b and second.b etc.
ok. but it's putting first stage on /dev/sda which I think OpenPROM
didn't see at all when booting.
may be it was possible when moving whole /boot and /etc/silo.conf to /dev/sdb
with dd'ing first.b to it.
Now I changed external from 0 to 4 and ....

it's working :-DD

> also, the drive that boots needs the kernel image, /etc/silo.conf and
> /boot/{stuff} .  this probably precludes booting from id#3 and having id#0
> as your root drive.
I think so also.

thanks for the help.

Artur Górniak <josh@josh.wcss.wroc.pl>