Re: Problems when "cloning" an hard-disk

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:

> > > I have a Sparc IPX with with two hard-disks, an external (slow!) 2 GB hd
> > > for the OS (Debian GNU/Linux potato) and an internal hd mounted as
> > > /home.
> > > I want to "clone" my existing system on a new disk. What I have done is:
> > >
> copying all the data acroos is 99% of the work.
> all you need now is a boot block on the new drive, and for the life of I
> can't remember how ot do it!
> <note to self, power on the ELC again>
> check the silo documentation.  you will probably need to run it with an
> option for a different root dir,  silo -r /mnt
> or chroot to the new disk and run silo

Then, in this case, silo works more or less like lilo...

This is exactly what I thought yesterday, when reading silo's manpage, but
I didn't actually do that because I have always believed that, with silo,
everything was more or less automatic.

Ok, I'll try to chroot to the new disk and run silo.

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already
earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake,
since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice."
- Albert Einstein

Sabino Maggi                     !  tel: (+39) 011-3919-449 *NEW*
IEN "G. Ferraris"                !  fax: (+39) 011-3463-84
Strada delle Cacce, 91           !  e-mail: maggi@ien.it
I-10135 Torino, Italy            !  http:   www.ien.it/~maggi