Re: SS20 lockups

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Andy Wettstein wrote:

> I installed Debian on an SS20 yesterday, and I'm having some problems
> with it.  I installed the 2.2.19-sun4dm-smp kernel for it, and it
> locked up pretty soon after that.  I looked around on the net and saw
> that SS20's could have problems using smp, so I installed the
> 2.2.19-sun4m without smp but it crashed pretty soon after that.

	Does your Sparc 20 have more than one processor? If not, the SMP
kernels are probably not the best to be running, even if only from a
performance standpoint (additionaly overhead involved with SMP is a waste
on a uni-processor system).

> So, I was wondering if anyone knows what kernel would be stable on
> this thing.  Btw, I also upgraded this to sid, maybe sid isn't stable
> on an SS20?

	My SS20 with a single SM51 processor is rock solid (5 days up so
far, more before the last reboot to rearrange power cables). It is running
2.2.18 with the patches from www.linuxraid.org (no software raid
partitions yet, working on setting them up still). Also, the machine is
running stock potato.
	I am thinking about buying either a second SM51, or a pair of
SM61/71s for it, and would be interested in other people's experience with
SMP on the Sparc 20. Thanks.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |