Re: FAQ anyone?

Onno Benschop <onno@itmaze.com.au> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> This is probably none of my business, but I would like to make an
> observation, and follow it with a silly question.
>
> I subscribed to debian-sparc on September 13, 2000. At the time I was
> having problems with my ELC. After that I had a problem with a netwatch bus
> error which Anton Blanchard helped me with - I haven't fixed it yet - too
> many distractions - don't give up on me yet Anton!
>
> Since that time, I have seen many questions visit through with lots of
> similar answers:
>
>   - How do I boot my xxx?
>   - My xxx doesn't boot with silo!
>   - How do I make X work on my xxx?
>   - My mouse doesn't work on my xxx?
>   - How do I cross-compile for my xxx?
>   - How do I make audio work on my xxx?

I understand what you mean and while I agree that a compact FAQ would be
great, ask yourself this:
       Where are the answers to all or most of the above problems ?

If people cannot be bothered to read installation docs etc., will a FAQ help ?

That said, I, and probably other people who install/reinstall/update
Debian on their Sparcs, would certainly like to have a FAQ. Often
I remember seeing solutions on this list, but searching the archives
is really painful...

To make compiling a FAQ easier, how about posting solutions back to
this list with e.q. [SOLUTION] appended to the subject line.
That way the FAQ maintainer could at least partially automatize his
job.

If someone wants to start maintaining this FAQ, I'll gladly contribute.

Happy Sparcing,

--
Ragga