Re: SMP on 2xSM50?

* on the Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 10:52:20AM +0100, Marco Gaiarin was blubbering:
> > cache) Sparc?  I have a  Sparc 10 that runs Debian 2.2r2 fine in
> > uniprocessor but periodically freezes/halts when running with both procs.
>
> Hem, excuse me but i don't know spark hardware... but SS10 are
> biprocessor?!

Can be.

> I've compiled the kernel for one processor only, how can i know if
> there's more then one CPU?!

Open up the machine? ;) Well, you can guess whether you have two
processors by the type of the processor. Only SM50 or newer SM40
processors support it. If you got anything other, you're out of
luck anyway. If you have an SM40 (like me) it might work. Actually,
I've got no idea whether my CPU would support a biprocessor-
configuration. Maybe there is a way to find out through
/proc/openprom/TI,TMS390Z55...

Oh, and do a "cat /proc/openprom/banner-name", in my case it says:
'SPARCstation 10 (1 X 390Z55)'
I guess this would tell me if I had two processors.

Cheers
Peter
--
"Any good Unix security engineer can clean up any Unix box. But I'm not
 sure there are people even within Microsoft who know how to clean up