Re: TFTP install -> SILO woes!

> On Feb 01, Jack Morgan scratched in indelible ink :

> I just installed Potato onto a SS20, rebooted, then .... The PROM gave an
> error like "SILO buggy old PROM can't boot after 1GB", etc. This is my first
> Sparc, but I suspect that I need to "setenv" the correct boot partition. My
> only HDD is 2GB. I tried setenv boot-file linux, but no luck. In fdisk, i
> choose automatic partioning:
>
> /dev/sda1    linux
> /dev/sda2    swap
> /dev/sda3    whole disk label

yah.  You need the boot partition to be under the 1GB limit (Think PCs and their
buggy BIOS problems too)

thus:

/dev/sda1  linux /   (size < 1GB)  < 100MB is feasible)
/dev/sda2  swap  swap  random size
/dev/sda3  whole disk (only essential if using SunOS/Solaris)
/dev/sda4  linux /usr (size large)

/Jp...
--
Jean-Paul Blaquière             ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au   ||   Thaumaturgy