Re: stuff

Doug Alcorn wrote:
> Staff Account <staff@netmar.com> writes:
>
> > I've setup RARP and TFTP service on the network.
> > You should be able to boot off the network.  However, it appears
> > that Debian defaults to using the on-board video if it finds it (yours
> > has one built in that can't be removed), and thus won't use the actual
> > console device (serial port).  I took the liberty of also downloading the

I think it will default to the serial port if it doesn't find a
keyboard, so unplug the keyboard before turning your machine on.

> > Now, I currently have the RARP/TFTP server setup to feed your machines the Debian,
> > boot image.  But like I said, I don't think that'll work (it didn't on two test
> > machines I tried).  I recommend redhat (largely because it worked on my test).
> > The Debian boots that didn't work forced me to go power cycle the machine--
> > it wouldn't even respond to BREAK's (CTRL-\ b).  But you're welcome to try.

I used the Debian installation guide and another FAQ doc (I don't
remember which exactly) to set RARP/TFTP to boot my IPCs for
installation. It took a little work to figure out the MAC addresses and
the ftpt configuration, but eventually the instructions in the doc were
sufficient to get it going.

--
Rafael