Re: dpkg 1.8.1.2 gives SIGBUS on sparc

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 01:47:14PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:

> I am not sure if he did my suggestion of moving the long l to the last field
> in the union, to see if that helps it.

Actually, it doesn't help. Union ordering isn't really significant, it's
just that the long double apprently sets the alignment for the struct.
So you'll need to reverse this patch.

IMO, dpkg needs to be converted to using malloc/alloc/obstack anyway.
These internal functions (varbuf, nfmalloc) are doing nothing but code
bloat. I think Ian had these things around back when libc wasn't as
stable/robust as it is now. They just aren't needed anymore.

Ben