Re: woody on sparc

On 11-Jan-2001 Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr wrote:
> dario writes:
>  > Yesterday i upgraded potato to woody, and now network services dont start:
>  >
>  > /etc/network/interfaces :Function not implemented
>  > ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
>  > done.
>  > The file interfaces is fully readble and well configured...
>  >
> [..]
> I have got the same problem and havn't find ont an explanation on this
> list. Finally I have to downgrade to potato.

The list archive is your friend.

This was covered on the list recently - coincidentally, I tried going
potato->woody yesterday, found the same thing and used the manual fix suggested
on the list. I've now returned to potato for other reasons, however (need
Netscape working to access online bank - Netscape bus errors on Woody glibc).

The problem appears to be in glibc. The workaround is to comment out

        /sbin/ifup

from /etc/init.d/networking, and replace it with manual ifconfig/route
commands, e.g.

        /sbin/ifconfig eth0 <your-ip>
        /sbin/route add default <your-gateway>

--