SPARC potato -> woody

Hey,

I recently upgraded my SPARCstation2 from Debian potato to woody, which
seemed to work fine... until the power went out and it came time to boot
the system anew. Now, the system won't boot normally, and I have to boot
in "linux single" mode (that is, typing "linux single" at the SILO
prompt). The major problem here for me is what appears to be caused by
the following (seen during bootup, or, in fact, any time "ifup eth0" is
run):

Configuring network interfaces: /etc/network/interfaces: Function not
implemented
ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

This happens with basically anything in /etc/network/interfaces: this
error was generated with a completely commented-out file, but the same
error happens with a "working" file.

What can I do in this situation?

Thanks,
Evan