Re: Hardware question (urgent)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Karl Hammar wrote:
> I don't know the german market. But I do know that my distributor
> have a presence in germany. Maybe you can call them and see if they
> have a partner who can solve your need.
Wrote e-mail to a partner of them.  Thanks for the hint!

>   Boot manager
>   ------------
> You can use std. sun boot loader or silo to boot solaris.
> You can use silo to boot linux.
Is silo the kind of lilo or more the kind of grub, presenting a menu
to select from without having to press any key?

> You can use std. sun boot loader to load silo from a linux partition
>  and then boot linux

> Disk space is not usually a problem, though disk slot space is.
> E.g. Seagate sells 70GB scsi disks, but you can only have six disks in
> the chassi.
Well, 4x36GB seems me to be enough at the moment, but it's allways the
same ...

> In software raid the os uses its own partitions so the should not be
> any conflickt having both linux and solaris software raid
For sure, but it would be interesting to have /home partition on RAID
which could be accessed by both systems for instance ...

> I don't know of any raid card that linux-sparc can use.
> hw raid is os independent, the whole raid is presented as one big disk
Yes but the offered solution is about 3/4 of the price of the server
box with twice the diskspace... (The HW raid had "only" 4x18GB.)

>   Howtos:
> /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO.txt.gz from the
> doc-linux-text package is a good start. There are references there
> also.
>
> You cat go to http://www.linuxhq.com and search for raid, you will get
> a list of howto's. I don't know which is best.
Thanks, I'll check that

           Andreas.