Re: Hardware question (urgent)

[ Please don't cc me, I subscribe to this list ]

  Salesman in Germany who supports linux
  --------------------------------------
I don't know the german market. But I do know that my distributor
have a presence in germany. Maybe you can call them and see if they
have a partner who can solve your need.

 Germany
                Digital Network Services Deutschland GmbH
                (Wegbeschreibung)
                Adresse         Industriestrasse 10 a
                                82256 Fürstenfeldbruck
                Telefon         +49 8141 3536 0
                Telefax         +49 8141 3536 897
                Internet        http://www.dns-gmbh.de
                E-Mail          info@dns-gmbh.de

You can also call Sun Germany, and ask them if they have a suitable
partner.

  Boot manager
  ------------
You can use std. sun boot loader or silo to boot solaris.
You can use silo to boot linux.
You can use std. sun boot loader to load silo from a linux partition
 and then boot linux

Disk space is not usually a problem, though disk slot space is.
E.g. Seagate sells 70GB scsi disks, but you can only have six disks in
the chassi.

  Raid
  ----
To my knowledge (I have not worked firsthand with raid) there are three
kind of raid out there:

  software raid
  raid with a raid card
  "hw" raid

In software raid the os uses its own partitions so the should not be
any conflickt having both linux and solaris software raid
I don't know of any raid card that linux-sparc can use.
hw raid is os independent, the whole raid is presented as one big disk

  Howtos:
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO.txt.gz from the
doc-linux-text package is a good start. There are references there
also.

You cat go to http://www.linuxhq.com and search for raid, you will get
a list of howto's. I don't know which is best.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  70 511 97 84                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting