Re: Processes 1-6 Respawning Too Fast

> About every seven minutes, the following shows up in /var/log/syslog:
>
> Nov 18 15:55:06 starwalker init: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled
> for 5 minutes
> Nov 18 15:55:07 starwalker init: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled
> for 5 minutes
> Nov 18 15:55:07 starwalker init: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled
> for 5 minutes
> Nov 18 15:55:08 starwalker init: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled
> for 5 minutes
> Nov 18 15:55:09 starwalker init: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled
> for 5 minutes
> Nov 18 15:55:09 starwalker init: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled
> for 5 minutes

This looks like the gettys might be doing this.  Are you using this
machine locally?  If you are, I'm surprised you get any work done :-)
the console should show these same messages, and no login prompt.

Those ID's are given in /etc/inittab, by the way.  That's where these
processes should be listed.  If you have not touched this file yet, it's
likely there is something wrong with getty.  make sure getty really
isn't running, then try running 'getty /dev/tty1' and see what happens
on the console.

--

Ben Roberts, Class of 2001 (1st of millenium), founding member of MBLUG

"Gather your wits and hold on fast/ Your mind must learn to roam"
	-- Gypsy Queen, "Tommy", The Who