Re: SS1 with dead NVRAM

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 simon.kagstrom.864@student.lu.se wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am the lucky owner of an old SPARCstation 1 w/ 12 Mb RAM, which I got for
> free. I am also the unlucky owner of the same SPARCstation's dead NVRAM (I get
> the ff:ff:ff... ethernet adress at boot).
>
> I'm interested in getting Linux onto this machine, mostly just for the fun of
> it. Now, for my question, is it possible to boot the machine without replacing
> the faulty chip, even if one would have to go through the same procedure each
> boot?

Yes, there's a paper called "Frequently asked questions about Sun
NVRMA/hostid" the author of which is Mark Henderson <mch@squirrel.com>

Try the sites:

ftp://ftp.mindlink.net/pub/crypto/sun-stuff/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html
http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

Regards,

Peter Firmstone