SS1 with dead NVRAM

Hello!

I am the lucky owner of an old SPARCstation 1 w/ 12 Mb RAM, which I got for
free. I am also the unlucky owner of the same SPARCstation's dead NVRAM (I get
the ff:ff:ff... ethernet adress at boot).

I'm interested in getting Linux onto this machine, mostly just for the fun of
it. Now, for my question, is it possible to boot the machine without replacing
the faulty chip, even if one would have to go through the same procedure each
boot?

// Simon Kågström