Re: problem with X

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 02:26:06AM -0000, kuman2k@catcha.com wrote:
> Quoting Bob Collins <pineypl@bellsouth.net>:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I still receive the PEXExtensionInit error as well. I have not had time
> > to play with correcting that. The line about the /dev/gpmdata tells that
> > you are running gpm and trying to run X. My understanding is that on the
> > Sun you cannot run both gpm and X. I was having similar trouble, so I
> > stopped gpm and tried 'startx'. It started fine and working no troubles.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Bob
>
> [snip]
>
> kuman@jsbsl:~$
> kuman@jsbsl:~$ su - root
> Password:
> jsbsl:~# dpkg -r gpm
> dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove gpm which isn't installed.
> jsbsl:~#
>
>    hmmm...what is happening now? i was told to stop gpm, how exactly can i do
> that? again, helps is much needed to get my X up.

Gpm is already removed.  However, it looks like you also need to rm
/dev/gpmdata.  I thought that was fixed in newer Xsun servers, but the
error you mentioned earlier in the thread tells me you have an older one.

The PEX font file Roman_M error can usually be ignored as some people
seem to get it even with appropriate fonts installed and it doesn't keep
X from running.

Steve

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)