problem with X

hi all,
   this is my first attempt playing with Debian (it even my first on linux). i
guess i've successfully installed potato on an ultra1 machine but having this
difficulties on X. whenever i "startx", i get this:

 kuman@jsbsl:~$ startx

 Cannot open /dev/gpmdata, error 2. Trying /dev/sunmouse
 (using VT number 7)

 Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/" does
 not exist.
          Entry deleted from font path
 Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" does not
 exist.
          Entry deleted from font path
 PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file Roman_M
 <ctrl+alt+backspace entered>
 xinit: connection to X server lost.
 kuman@jsbsl:~$

   how can i fix it? thanks a lot.