Re: installation difficulties

Hi,

About two weeks ago, I wrote to the list with some problems doing my first
non-x86 Debian install (on a Sparc 5 I picked up used).  Everyone was
really helpful in pointing out some of the architecture's peculiarities
(max 1Gb root partition, which at first confused me since I assumed this
BIOS bug was similar to that of old PC's where the START of the boot
partition had to be in the first n sectors; it seems on this sparc,
though, that the ENTIRE boot partition has to be under 1 gig).

Anyway, everything's working fine now, but I came across what I thought
might be a bug in the standard debian install, but i'm not confident
enough that I felt to put it in the debian bugtracker, so instead thought
I'd post it here:

To get the install procedure to recognize my internal SCSI CD-ROM drive
(OEM sun) after the reboot portion of the install (it automatically can
boot the cd-rom during start of install), i had to hand-edit /etc/fstab
and change:

/dev/cdrom       to             /dev/scd0

in the first column.  Then the continuation of the install (when it
installs all the selected packages) will automatically find the cd-rom as
it suggests that it should do.

Anyway, again, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, and I don't really
need any help on it, since I managed to make it work, but I just wanted to
share it with people who are more knowledgeable in case it should be
corrected in the sources/ISO images.

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice while I was installing.

Take care,

Daniel