newbie+potato+Classic=?

Thanks again for all the tips!

Well; it worked, more or less.  The ftp client that my
friend used ditched anything that was symlinked. :(
This left me scrounging the xfonts, and a few other
sundry bits via 28.8.  sigh.  Like a twit, I didn't
realize that the sparc dir wasn't self-contained, so
there were some more things to get.  Luckily tetex was
the only huge file I had to download myself.

Now for the interesting bits.  When I type startx, it
seems to take an inordinate amount of time before
anything of interest happens.  I get a white screen,
and then a slightly off-white rectangle eventually
appears in the centre of the screen, containing the
debian splash image.  The colour of this then becomes
horrid (the off-white becomes a lavender colour) and
it just sits.  If I press the middle mouse button, I
finally get sawmill to draw the grey stippled
background.  Problem with sawmill and xsun?  My
unpriviledged gets the same behaviour.

I am able to run gkrellm, although it's drawing the
cpu load graph strangely.  I'll try upgrading to a
newer gkrellm.  As for the asclock-gtk, it segfaults
if I try to launch it.  The output of strace is not
a small file, even when gzip'd.  If anyone knows
about such things, and could help me decipher the
spew, I email it to you.

If anyone else is using these programs, I would be
interested in hearing from you.  I am running potato
on a sparc classic, with an 8bpp frame buffer.  I get
Cgoban complaining about not enough colours free, so
I wouldn't be shocked to hear that the bit-depth is
a problem.

Thanks in advance.

--
cheers,
Mike Pfleger

There's seventy brilliant people on Earth.
Where are they hiding?
-Cabaret Voltaire "Yashar"