newbie+potato+Classic=? [was CDU561 misadventures]

Thanks to all who responded to the sordid details of my
CDU-561 misadventures.  I will investigate this further
at some later date, when I have some more time. ;-)
I have to think Tad is right about the CD-R media giving
the drive indigestion, but the more alarming thing is
the spew of errors about live device not responding,
etc.  This happens whether there is a disc in the drive
or not, suggesting something at the SCSI interface/
driver level.

Anyway; on to bigger and better things...

I've read the archives, the daily mail on this list, and
I've dug around on the Debian site.  What I need to know,
now, is how to go about installing Potato on my Classic.

I have looked at the various ftp sites mentioned on:
	http://cdimage.debian.org/potato_pre.html
and read the instructions.  How do I know if the debian-
unofficial image is out of date on these sites?  What
should I be looking for as the most recent, and usable,
sparc potato image?

I am in the unenviable position of 22.8kbps dialup, not
some huge data-pipe.  I do, however, have access an ASDL
line via a friend and his windoze machine.  This windoze
machine has a CDRW on it, as well.  Can the kits at:
	http://cdimage.debian.org/~costar/pseudo-image-kit/
get a potato ISO for sparc together?  Most of the
references are for i386.  If the kits are up to it, what
is the current status of the sundry bits for potato, ie:
the boot disks?  There has been a bit of traffic about
these boot disks of late.  My classic is currently
running slink, with no major modifications.

Given my situation, what is the recommended course of
action at this time?  Should I wait for the official
release of potato, or are we so close that I'd only
have to replace a few packages after the fact?

Thanks in advance,

--
cheers,
Mike Pfleger

There's seventy brilliant people on Earth.
Where are they hiding?
-Cabaret Voltaire "Yashar"