Install problems 2.1_r4 CD

I put this post to debian-cd first and it was suggested I repost it
here.

Trying to get Debian slink setup on Sun SS1 and Lx. I purchased a set of
Sparc CD's  from LinuxCentral from the original release, which gave
error not valid disk label. Downloaded 2.1_r2 and was able to do a
limited install with a lot of intervention. Just updated the 2.1_r2
images to 2.1_r4 with "rsync"
Using these new CD's, I tried to install on a SparcLX, 32 Mb ram, boot
prom 2.9, sun+ external cdrom, and a freshly formatted 540Mb IBM HD.
Helped knowing
about hidden "s" for sun at HD partition.
Booted ok from CD, but install failed at "install modules and kernels"
from cdrom. For some reason could not mount cdrom even though it booted
from it. Continued
install from floppies, ok until selecting cdrom as method of install in
"dselect". Again could not mount cdrom! Plugged in my internet
connection, used my main
computer IP address etc settings and was able to continue install via
ftp/http. Would help if there was an "autoprobe" or "manual" selection
at network setup time.

Is this CD install a known problem at "install modules and kernel" plus
not finding cdrom for "dselect" install?     Suggestions?    I have
gotten Debain working a few
times before; my best luck was with using boot floppies from potato disk
15 Jan 2000 , but had problems with "dselect" loading programs.

On the other hand, my experience with RedHat 6.1 was excellent using
single boot floppy which quickly grabbed CDROM for remainder of install
, autoprobed network . Problem free and fast on both the SparcStation1
and the LX.

Are my Debian CD broken? (the checksums checked ok)  Any suggestions?

Peter Myers