SOLVED: NFS install problems: how to insert NFS module?

At 03:41 AM 2/13/00 -0500, Tod Hagan wrote:
>I'm running into a problem trying to install slink on an SS4. It doesn't
>have a CD-ROM, so I'm trying to install via NFS from the CD on another
>machine. I'm booting from the rescue disk, and inserting the root disk when
>asked.
>
>Once I configure the network I can ping the box, so the ethernet driver is
>loaded. However, when selecting to install from NFS the NFS mount fails
>with the message
>
>> mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: unable to receive

This is the error message you get on the installation machine if you're not
running portmapper, nfsd, or mountd on the server with the CD-ROM. :)

Once I started the proper daemons, I found Debian's NFS install much more
friendly that Red Hat's, because Debian will search the mounted directory
hierarchy for the files it needs, while with Red Hat you must type the
exact path to its installation files and Red Hat's documentation doesn't
specify where in the hierarchy you need to be.

Tod Hagan, Observer/Technician
Mount Washington Observatory
tod@mountwashington.org