[baudin@cnam.fr: Re: Booting CD-ROM Installation]

oups,
I forgot the group reply...
--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 04:51:58AM -0500, B.C.J.O wrote:

> > is a bootable sparc debian cd different to a x86 cd?
>
> The way you phrased that explanation made it seem like you were trying to
> use the x86 cd to boot the sparc machine... now, if this is the case, then
> that is your problem -- you need the sparc specific dist cd. If that is
> not the case, then I apologise for being pedantic.

Of course you are ;-)

I'll try another interpretation of the question:

Yes ! a bootable sparc CD IS different to a x86 one.
Trying to do a mkisofs with the el-torito flags won't work on sparc.

This way of making bootable CD is an ugly PC thing du to a dirty BIOS conception.

Sun hardware used to boot from CD before PC appears....

Just check the documentation about SILO (/usr/doc/silo I guess) which explains
how to make a bootable CD for sparc (it explains better than I on a mailing list...)

hope this help,
max

--
Baudin Maxime - PhD student - CNAM
Laboratoire electronique et communication - Paris

--- End Message ---