Re: Potato readiness ?

Thanks Ben for the clarifications.

First let me say that overall I'm very impressed and pleased with debian-sparc.
And my mail was more intended on getting a response/pointing deficiencies
than as a rant, but at 2am on monday the tone was maybe too grumpy...

I understand that potato is still unstable but the netscape issue
should be solved. I don't see the point in keeping unusable packages
floating. (unless the purpose is to confuse the user 8^)
Why not repackaging the working one in slink (4.5) and put it in.

>Talk to the mule2 maintainer. I filed this bug a long time ago. It is not
>about sparc, it is related to glibc 2.1 AFAICT.

Mule2 debian sources compile on i386, so there is something cranky about
the sparc port. I've got glibc-2.1.2 on both systems, and tried to trace
the problem unsuccessfully yesterday.... err, this morning...
The upstream mule2 doesn't support sparc-linux so no luck there either.
(mule is an important package here, so I need to get it working...)

>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1664 Jan 20 23:12 /etc/X11/XF86Config
>That is on my sparc. I believe what you are talking about is the package
>"xf86config", which is not on sparc, since it does not require

When I installed xsun etc, the link
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XFConfig->/etc/X11/XF86Config
was created (by which package I don't know)
 but it pointed to a non-existing file. Since sparc doesn't
need it there is no need for this file, but some packages (fonts*, Login.app,
I forgot what others) complained about it not being there.
Not a big problem, just another minor glitch I wanted to report.

I'll have another look at mule and if I find a solution I'll post it.

Have a nice monday everyone,

Tnx
--
Give me debian or pencil and paper