Can't NFS-Root boot: no way to get IP number

Hi all!

After some crazy hours trying (unsuccessfully) to install potato on a diskless
SparcStation IPX, I guess I've found what's wrong.

First, the symptoms: I've configured another Debian box (i386) as a TFTP and
RARP server with linux-a.out from the latest disks-sparc as a boot image. When
I do "boot net", the image is loaded successfully, detects all the hardware
(including the ethernet card) and the stops after the words:
  Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.

tcpdump doesn't detect ANY activity coming from the Sparc after Linux is
loaded. Specifying nfsroot= explicitly in the boot prompt doesn't help at
all. If I put tftpboot.img as a boot image, I get TILO prompt and then
everything friezes.

Possible reason: kernel can't get an IP number because no protocol is compiled
in! Here's an excerpt from .config (from kernel-image-2.2.18pre21-sun4cdm_3.deb)
  CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
  # CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP is not set
  # CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP is not set
  # CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP is not set

Request for help: could someone provide me with a kernel image (no matter
which version) which has any of those protocols built-in. I need it really
urgently. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

  --- Alexander.