Re: Help installing on and old SPARC 5

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, graziano wrote:

> Actually I decided to use a CDROM because I couldn't get my x86 linux
> box to be a tftp server for the sparc. rarpd crashed as soon as the
> sparc tries to boot. And I don't have any other no-x86 box around that I
> can use. What do you use for rarp?

Oh no, i've always used plain vanilla i386's.

Okay, I'm dumb. The TFTP booting is not in Hugo's FAQ (though it is an
excellent FAQ, but only if you own a SPARCBook.

It's in the Debian installation instructions,
section 6.5

It's pretty complete. And it works :)

A typical tftp image looks as follows on my computer:

templestowe:/boot$ la
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Jan 29  2000 8002908F.SUN4M ->
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      2112360 Apr  2  2000 tftp32.img

the funky symlink is the client's IP addr (not its hardware addr) in hex. The
.SUN4M extension should be changed to whatever type of sun you're booting...

give it a shot :)