XSun log files & init(8)

Hi there,

has anyone running the Xserver Xsun (XsunMono etc) from init(8)?
The man page says it should log under /usr/adm and I've set up a
(relative) softlink from /usr/adm to /var/log.
(This is because /usr isn't writeable here.)

But the XServer doesn't log anything, the file isn't even created! :(
During XServer startup, I can't see any access to /usr/adm as well... (The
machines have there file system mounted over NFS.)

What's wrong here?
I first thought, the man page is wrong, but "strings Xsun" gives me (among
other things) a "/usr/adm"...

Or can anyone give me a hint where to ask elsewhere about this problem...?

Thanks a lot!

		Andreas Jaehnigen