Sparc5 install woes

I've been trying to get linux on my Sparc 5 for a week now. I've tried both
RedHat 6.2 and Debian 2.1 with the following errors

Red Hat- Always ends up in a signal 11 termination when it starts to format
the drive

Debian- After doing bad block check- install "seems" to hang at "writing
superblocks and filesystem auditing"

The system is a 70mghz SS5 with 64mb RAM, 2.1GB Seagate Barracudda drive, no
floppy and using a DEC RRD43 for the boot cdrom.

Any advice you can give is appreciated- I am starting to wonder if maybe the
Seagate is bad.

-ShirKahn