Unidentified subject!

Robert Ribnitz writes:

 > 2) SECURITY ISSUE
 > ================
 > On machines installed using the slink image, and upgraded (dist-upgrade) to
 > potato, and on machines installed using the potato image (version see
 > above), "man /etc/passwd" will return the contents of said file. I did a
 > cross-check with a solaris (sunos 5.7) machine, which did not exhibit this
 > behavior.

Since the passwd is world readable, you can see its contents by many
tools: cat, more, less, vi ... so this isn't really an issue. If you
want more secure password protection, you should use the shadow
password (the passwords are then stored in /etc/shadow which can't
only be read by root)

The above behavior of man is indeed unusual but I find it handy: you
can consult a man page by "man _this_man_page". This could be useful
if you want to know what a package does before really install it
(under other OS I would have to read the man page by pipying it
through nroff)

--
PHAM Dinh Tuan                         | e-mail: Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr
Laboratoire de Modelisation et Calcul  | Tel: +33 4 76 51 44 23